At Making Cents, we believe that given the opportunity, everyone has the potential to achieve extraordinary things. Fostering this potential and promoting opportunities for people around the world is what motivates us and our work. True to our founding as a social enterprise, we use evidence-based, market-driven approaches to support those most in need and partner with local organizations to create inclusive and supportive social and economic ecosystems where all individuals and groups can thrive and live fulfilling lives.
In your role as Writer/Editor, you will support staff in conceiving, developing, and producing a range of written materials in the international development sector, primarily focused on youth, gender, and economic opportunity. You will use your excellent writing and editing skills to develop communication materials that clearly tell the story of our work. Drawing on your expertise, you will create and implement processes for quality assurance, develop templates and tools to guide other staff in writing, and provide a consistent voice and standard for project written materials.
A successful candidate will be expected to:
- In coordination with project staff, develop goals for content, including workflow amounts and the direction and aim of writing prior to materials development.
- Review, rewrite, and copy edit technical documents generated by project staff, including project reports, workplans, strategies, frameworks, how-tos, etc. for content accuracy and quality, including spelling, grammar, punctuation, and syntax.
- Write and edit a variety of documents (e.g., project reports, workplans, strategies, frameworks, how-tos, articles, presentations) based on information/content provided by project staff.
- Contribute to project-specific communication efforts, including material development, editing, information dissemination, , ensuring consistency with project objectives, client expectations, and corporate, client, and project identity standards.
- Collaborate with project staff to curate and create compelling content and ideas, keeping the audience in mind.Develop and implement quality assurance standard processes for materials development.
- Provide feedback to project staff on written materials so that writers can apply feedback to future materials.
- To streamline processes for writers, develop templates that are easy to adapt and apply for project staff use.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Ten years’ progressively responsible professional experience with a specific focus on writing, editing, and communications
- Highly skilled at using MS Word formatting tools
- Experience working with or for USAID on communications materials
- Applied understanding of 508 compliance
- Ability to work in the U.S. without sponsorship
Our ideal candidates are also:
- Exceptional writers and communicators
- Experienced with applying editorial guidelines
- Interested in the areas of youth, gender, and economic opportunity
- Experienced supporting foundation or other donor-focused communications
- Detail-oriented, adaptable, and able to handle multiple concurrent tasks