Closing date for applications is Friday 2nd July 2021. Click the button above to learn more and apply.
Trócaire is looking for a knowledgeable and experienced Market Systems Development & Engagement Advisor to support country programmes (with a particular focus in Ethiopia, Sierra Leone, Malawi, Zimbabwe and Rwanda) and partners in the long-term building of more equitable and sustainable market systems that work for poor, small-holder farming families. Our approach to rural development, food and agriculture is an agroecological one.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
Development of strategy, guidance and resources
- Guide the development of country programme strategies and the design of projects relating to income-generation businesses based on a sound technical knowledge and a thorough understanding of best practice from market systems development, agroecological and other compatible discourses.
- Provide detailed analysis of market systems for Trócaire country programmes and support the design of strategic interventions to address any identified challenges or constraints.
- Develop technical guidelines, tools, and training resources and deliver technical training on decision-making and empowering aspirant market actors (particularly women), market mapping and market systems development.
- Support food marketing systems analysis, towards understanding food flows and developing solidarity markets which improve the availability of a range of nutritious food in local markets.
- Advise country programme teams on the identification of relevant and appropriate market systems and to build more equitable, sustainable and lucrative market systems that work for poor, small-holder farming families.
- Advise country programmes on the establishment and/or strengthening of grassroots management structures. Particular emphasis should be given to those led by women.
- Provide all the required technical guidance and follow-up support to country programmes and implementing partners
- Provide technical support to other organisational units – especially for funding applications focused on market engagement and markets’ development, implementing market systems development approaches in humanitarian or protracted crises contexts and the measuring the impacts of making market systems more equitable and sustainable.
- Support strong learning and knowledge management of Trócaire’s existing and emerging practices on market systems development (especially in food systems and bio/wild-product based enterprises) with a Solidarity Economy approach.
- Develop an organisational policy statement on Trócaire’s approach to market engagement in collaboration with colleagues in the Programmes and Policy Teams.
- Support country programmes develop advocacy messaging/strategy around equal access and participation in market systems, particular for women and other marginalised groups.
- Serve as a representative and advisor on issues related to market systems development.
- Promote and support Trócaire’s engagement in appropriate networks to maximise opportunities for collaboration.
- Represent Trócaire’s work on and approach to market systems development at networks and in relevant internal and external forums to ensure that learning is shared and the work of Trócaire and partners is profiled and informs sectoral thinking.
- Provision of high quality timely technical support for country programme planning, delivery and evaluation
Facilitation of learning and sharing within and across country programmes
- In collaboration with country teams, produce appropriate technical guidance and other resources to support programme quality and innovation.
- Identify opportunities for innovative practices, future strategies, and approaches in consultation with partners and networks in close collaboration with country teams.
- Identify and support new research opportunities and collaborative partnerships on solidarity economy market systems development.
- Promote nexus programming opportunities across humanitarian and development actors with a focus on Cash+ interventions.
Strategic engagement in relevant internal and external for enabling collaboration and profiling
Behavioural Competencies in Line with Trócaire’s Competency Framework
- Leading: Reflecting our values of Participation & Accountability, acts to inspire and lead others to achieve their potential, demonstrating Trócaire’s values with integrity in order to achieve our organisation’s objectives.
- Communicating: Reflecting our value of Participation, being one organisation, communicating clearly and transparently across, teams, units, divisions, locations and other external organisations. Getting our message across with impact.
- Collaborating: Reflecting our values of Participation & Solidarity, partnering effectively as One Trócaire organisation and, in solidarity, maintains positive relationships built on trust and respect.
- Stewardship of Resources: Reflecting our value of Accountability and decision-making around the best use of resources. Using our resources transparently, sustainably, ethically, fairly & with integrity; acknowledging Trócaire’s reputation in the use of resources.
- Delivering Results: Reflecting our values of Accountability & Perseverance, getting a quality job done through effective performance, planning and decision-making.
- Continual Improvement & Learning: Reflecting our values of Participation & Courage, constantly looking to learn and develop self, employees, and partners to better fulfil Trócaire’s’ mission.
- Flexibility & Change: Reflecting our values of Participation & Courage, adapts positively to change and to different ways of doing things; manages or takes part in change processes in a way that is appropriate to role in the organisation.
Person Specification – Essential Requirements
- Third level qualification in International Development or related field of study (Economics and Marketing, Commerce, Trade, Market Systems, Economics, Agricultural Economics, Business Administration, etc)
- Practised in providing participatory, interactive, training and capacity building in a multi-cultural environment.
Minimum of 5 years’ experience working in programmes promoting market engagement in a developing country.
Experience in market and value chain development, knowledge of gender sensitive value chain analysis, inclusive approaches, and M4P mapping
Experience of proposal and report writing for major international donors including the European Union and other relevant trusts/foundations and of interaction with development finance institutions.
Experience collaborating with international and national partner organisations.
Experience of networking and profiling within national, regional, and global networks.
- In depth knowledge of the theory and practice of market systems development in a developing country/countries.
- Awareness and appreciation of the concept of Solidarity Economy and willing and able to creatively support the development of solidarity and nutrition –focussed markets.
- Experience of working with local and national partners in Africa (and other regions).
- A strong understanding of partnership approach and of implementing community-led development programming.
- Excellent facilitation & capacity building skills and experience of applying them when working with individual partners or groups of partners
- Proven strategic thinking and planning skills, including ability to think creatively, analyse and be innovative, set priorities, manage work plans, and evaluate progress.
- Ability to work in a complex organisation with demonstrated ability to work in a team.
- Highly developed relationship, negotiation and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written, oral and presentational communications skills
- Computer literacy skills in word, excel and internet/email, remote webinar media.
- Innovative and creative, strategic thinker.
- Dynamic and willing to take initiative.
- A team player but also willing and able to work with minimal supervision
- Capacity to be flexible and adaptable to changing contexts and priorities
- Deep commitment to social justice, equality and fairness
- Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines.
- Patient and pays high degree of attention to detail.
- Understanding of, and empathy with, the role of the Catholic Church in development
- Cross cultural communication and co-learning skills.
- Fluent Written and spoken English.